The first week of my internship is done. I am excited to see what I will learn and accomplish in the next thirteen weeks. Then in May, I will receive my Bachelor of Science degree in Nonprofit Leadership and Management from ASU. Time seems to have flown by since I started college and it’s rewarding to see this chapter of my life come to a close.
A little background about the nonprofit organization I am doing my internship with. Tempe Community Council (TCC) was founded in 1972 with a mission of connecting those in need with those who care. We offer several programs that have a wide range of impact from servicing young children and teen mothers, to the working poor and senior citizens. While they receive a majority of funding from the City of Tempe, TCC is a separate nonprofit organization. The trend of cities having Community Councils has faded, which makes this organization unique in their capacity to distribute funding to nonprofits in the community and conduct advocacy and research surrounding human services.
One of the great aspects of TCC is that they are housed in the historic Governor B.B. Moeur’s home on 7th street in Downtown Tempe. The house was built in 1893 and I am lucky to have my own office in one of the five bedrooms. In between my office and the one next door is a small bathroom the size of a closet with old style locks on the door. The house provides a great working space and there is a separate community building next to the house where board meetings take place. It’s great to be a part of this organization and to work in Downtown Tempe.
Transferring from full time classes and a part time job at Starbucks to working 8:30am-4:30pm M-F has been an exciting change. Most of my Christmas gifts were business clothes, and it has been nice to wear something other than the required dress code at Starbucks and have some creativity in what I wear. I do miss the friends I made there, but it’s great to be doing work using the skills I have learned.
2010 was a great year with friends, family, and my boyfriend Billy. Let’s see what 2011 has to offer!
Hey Kels!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad things are going so well! I am envious of your freedom of dress however. You must enjoy painting your nails, wearing huge earrings and many colors (and heels!) enough for the both of us!
Much love dear-
Miss you and much love to you! I promise I will stop by soon!
ReplyDelete