Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hello Last Semester!

This past Tuesday was the first time in about four years that I didn’t go to back to classes with the start of the semester at ASU. I was however, among my classmates in driving to Downtown Tempe. From my office, I could see students and professors walking to and from campus, a welcome activity to the area that has been quite over the break.
I will be working on an online course that corresponds with my internship, but I didn’t have the usual first day butterflies that accompany going to class. It’s a great feeling to be able to come home from work and be able to enjoy my evenings and weekends, not worrying about homework and group projects.
The 50th anniversary of President Kennedy’s Inaugural speech this past Thursday caused me to think about my service to the community. While I am working for a great organization that provides valuable programs and advocacy, I have the feeling that I need to do more. Any suggestions? What are you doing for your community? With severe budget cuts at all levels, human services and arts organizations budgets are getting reduced to over 40 year lows during a time when those services are at a higher need.
On a lighter note, I made my first chicken chili and cornbread, the latter admittedly came from a box, but both turned out quite delicious! Today, Billy is working on his second homebrew and soon we are going to make a lemoncello, which is an Italian lemon infused liqueur. I went to my parents house this morning and my mom helped me pick over 30 lemons from their tree for this refreshing beverage. It won’t be ready to drink until July, but once it is, you are welcome to come over and try some!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you discuss community service and President John Kennedy, who started the Peace Corp, among other community service endeavors.

    The person who brought the Peace Corps to life in JFK's administration, was his brother-in-law, R. Sargent Shriver, who died last week at age 95.

    I am afraid that the Kennedy anniversary has clouded his passing a little bit. Shriver was an amazing leader and the Peace Corp has endured to this day.

    As for me, work leaves me very little time to volunteer, but when I retire, I hope to do much. Isn't it better to start with your circles of friends and see what they need? Whether it is helping out during sickness or surgeries, moving, etc., there are always needs to meet.

    And there are plenty of local needs: my friend, Ronnie, volunteers at Tovrea Castle once a month - keeping it clean until it can open again for visitors. C.O.Phoenix has a listing of volunteer needs; I'm sure the other cities do too. You can pick and choose what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time reading the blog!! What an awesome idea. It is so impressive that you know how to do all this!! Wow.

    So intersting that you mention being struck by the urge to do more for your community. I too experienced that lately. Not knowing where to get started, I asked a woman I work with that I know does a lot for her church. It turned out she is starting a program to provide basic comforts to the single, homeless mothers that depend on her church organization to house them and their children while they set them up with free/decreased permanent housing.

    We make gift baskets that include things that seem so trivial to us, but to someone that has nothing would be a great comfort. Like oven mits, paper towels, a welcome rug, a couch throw, etc. Also, I am helping organize a parents appreciation day at the centers, and birthday parties for the kids. The stories behind most of these families are heartbreaking, yet inspiring.

    So, my suggestion is check with local churches. Although I do not come from a religious background NOR am I a member of the church, it has not been an issue at all. Help is help!!

    Can't wait to continue reading the blog! I feel closer to you already. :)

    ReplyDelete